Crime camera network
Sat, 06/06/2009 – 12:36 | by Aren Cambre
Crime abatement through camera network that photographs all cars entering and leaving the neighborhood.
Crime camera committee has set these criteria:
- Cameras monitor all 13 entrances and exits. (13 includes alleys)
- Aspire to monitor certain key intersections in neighborhood.
- Will avoid monitoring anything other than public rights of way.
- Will not use:
- Pan/zoom/tilt (PTZ) cameras because of potential for snooping.
- Any cameras that require active monitoring.
- Goal is to have record of vehicular traffic to review after incidents. Therefore, only capturing still pictures upon motion detect. Not creating realtime monitoring.
- Piggyback on residential DSL or cable modem internet connections.
- Will use relatively low cost IP megapixel cameras but will consider more expensive cameras for key locations.
- Must be high enough resolution to produce meaningful pictures.
- Camera setup must anticipate being serviced by volunteers, so must be uniform and simple.
- Will publish public specification that will be open to others who wish to upload their images.
Will White (2008)